12 July 2011

ziplock ice cream.

How do you make a perfect summer day even more perfect?? 
By adding some homemade ice cream of course!

Our morning was spent at home enjoying "no agenda".
While Ben took his morning nap I straightened up the house and cleaned the kitchen.
And the big kids played in their rooms and read books. . .can you ask for anything better?!

When Ben woke up we headed for the pool where we ate a yummy lunch
and played in the pool until afternoon nap time. . .are you loving all these naps we take!! 
Summer time at its best.

Then when Kate and Ben woke up we headed outside to make some ice cream.

A few weeks ago I spied this idea in the Family Fun Magazine and thought today was a good day to try it.
I love finding ideas and recipes that use things I have in the house already!

One thing I will say, the recipe called for half and half,
which I didn't have. . . but we used whole milk and it worked just fine.
 
I put the milk, sugar, and vanilla in a sandwich bag and then ice and salt in a gallon bag .
Then the sandwich bag went into the gallon bag and was zipped up.
I made one of these for each kid and put their initial on the front so no mix ups!

Then for five minutes the kids shook the "crazies" out of the bag!

Oh, have you met my coveted fourth child Carley? 
This is her sweet self with Kate.
One day I hope her most wonderful mom and dad will just give her to us! 
She is just too stinkin' cute and so much help. . .I need her!
Not likely going to happen, but a girl can dream right?

Ben shook his too.

Let me mention here that reading "shake for five minutes" and doing it are two different things.
This was the hard part.
Mostly because five minutes is a long time but also because the bag gets really really cold.

So truth be told the kids did not actually vigorously shake for five minutes
but indeed it turned to ice cream anyway, yea!


Sweet ice cream makers.

Time to eat. 

Yumm-O!

Perfect snack for a summer day.

I hope that you are all having a great summer.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Love this idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss C loves coming to your house. She fits right in. According to Carley the ice cream was GOOD!!
    love me

    ReplyDelete